• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

A College Tour and a Wake Up Call

• Communications junior Michelle Birch poses at the University of Florida’s stadium.

• College tour guide Christina Bienaime talks to the visiting students about the University of Florida’s stadium.

• The students on the college tour visited the Florida State University Campus (pictured here.)

This past week, I had the incredible opportunity of touring various colleges throughout the state of Florida on a trip sponsored by the Dreyfoos guidance department. We stopped at Florida Gulf Coast University, University of South Florida, University of Florida, Florida State University, University of North Florida and University of Central Florida. The three days I spent on this trip were a whirlwind of tours, application requirements and the view of barren Florida fields through a bus window.

There is nothing like stepping onto a college campus as a prospective student. You get to see things like where you will be living, where you’re going to eat lunch and where you are going to study. I know, for me, there was so much more to this trip than just seeing schools; it opened my eyes to the reality of growing up, applying to, and attending college. This is a scary reality that many of us do not want to face yet comes closer and closer as each year passes.

It seems as though we don’t take things seriously until it is almost too late. In the early stages of my junior year, I think to myself, “I need to keep it together” as thoughts of the future run rampant through my mind with a collection of various dates, facts and skills that I’ve gathered here at Dreyfoos. To me, this is a blessing of sorts because I know that without proper motivation and a stressful push in the right direction, nothing ever gets done.

Unfortunately, it may not matter that I know where the first English settlement in America was when applying for college. Writing skills, test scores and extracurricular activities matter. Without this trip, I would not have taken into account the time management, efficiency or focus that are going to be imperative in these upcoming months. The trip was not only an eye-opening experience into the real world that is becoming an adult, but it was also a great way to meet people and learn little quirks about colleges that the brochures won’t advertise.

While on a college campus you will see many things, most of them being students slapping skateboards onto the pavement or speeding by on their mopeds or bikes, possibly a Chick-fil-A and definitely a Starbucks (USF has 10). The amount of fast-food restaurants that find homes in these Florida schools struck me as odd. However that is not due to inedible cafeteria food. No matter how many people tell you that college food is gross, I am here to set the record straight. There is nothing wrong with the all-you-can-eat buffet style dinners including coffee machines and ice cream dispensers.

To be quite honest, I was apprehensive about going on the trip for many reasons. But ultimately, I found that putting myself a little out of my comfort zone was almost helpful in setting the tone for the life that waits beyond the Dreyfoos halls. I found comfort in being able to talk to admissions officers one-on-one and ask questions about the application process that may not otherwise be answered.

While the trip was a great experience for many reasons, the greatest thing I gained from it is something you cannot get from talking to alumni or visiting the school’s website. Stepping onto the campus is a critical part of the decision-making process. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you step onto the campus you know is meant for you.

$750
$10000

Michelle Birch
Michelle Birch, Editor-In-Chief
Communications senior Michelle Birch is a Co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. She enjoys writing and loves contributing to the production of the publication as much as possible. She is always interested in helping the staff whenever she can. Along with journalism, Birch finds interest in the film aspect of communications. Birch spends her time out of school either taking drives to the beach, preparing for college applications or kickboxing at her local boxing club. Over the summer Birch had the opportunity to intern at a local publishing firm, which gave her exciting ideas to bring to The Muse. Her dream is to become the Editor-in-Chief of a high profile magazine and plans to make this happen throughout her college career and later years of life. Whether or not her plans change, Birch hopes to be successful wherever she may end up.  
$750
$10000