The complexities of pest control

The complexities of pest control
Image Credit to Sprinkler Warehouse

I recently moved into a new house towards the beginning of summer. This house, compared to my old one, has a pool and more outside entertainment areas to relax in the beautiful Florida weather. Eager to try out my new pool, I walked outside oblivious to the dangers of my new neighborhood. Keeping focused on the glimmering, cool water of my pool, I was attacked. My life has never been the same since I’ve moved, and I rarely want to go outside since the incident.

A swarm of mosquitos is the reason why I don’t want to go outside and enjoy my new pool. This may sound a little ridiculous, but if you saw the aftermath of the attack on my back, you would understand why a leisurely dip in the pool is not worth looking like you have chicken pox. I never really experienced this problem before because my old neighborhood didn’t have this problem, and I never really had a reason to be outside that often. But looking out of my room and seeing a cool serene oasis staring back at me often tempts me to risk my non-itchy, smooth skin to take a quick dip.

I have tried a number of methods to keep these buzzing pests away. I’ve talked to numerous self proclaimed “mosquito professionals” at Home Depot to take care of my annoying problem back at home. Already fixed on another task, they pointed me to a small isle in the front of the store that contained mosquito control products.

First, I tried the classic citrononella candles made by Off!. They smelled great and were inexpensive, so I gave them a try. Proudly lighting up my new candles before I went in the jacuzzi, I was confident that I found the solution. Sadly, the candles did not help in an open outdoor area. After doing research, I found that these candles are most effective in smaller enclosed outdoor areas, such as a screened in patio. The citronella oil in the candle repels mosquitoes because of the smell it omits. A quick swish of wind blew theodor in a number of directions, proving the product ineffective for open outdoor areas. I had to blow out each candle with shame as I was viciously attacked yet again.

Next, I tried a simple spray-on mosquito repellant made by Off!. I noticed that it smelled harsh and was slightly annoying to apply all over my body. However, the product was effective with keeping off any airborne pests. As I jumped in the pool, I was free of any mosquitos buzzing near my face. I noticed the product caused an oily film to build up on the surface of the pool, which was a little discouraging for trying the product again.

Last, after being skeptical with how the spray on repellant would work with my sensitive skin, specifically on my face because I break out easily; I wanted to try a more natural option to repel mosquitos. After seeing what the spray-on repellant did to my pool, I looked for natural options at Whole Foods. I came across a product called Badger Anti-Bug Balm. It looks like a cylinder shaped deodorant stick. Rather than a spray on method, this balm applies by rubbing on your entire body. It smelled good and it is good for your skin, so I gave it a try. It’s a little time consuming getting every inch of your body with the stick, especially your back, but it was surely worth it. Not a single mosquito came near me. The ginger-scented odor the product omits keeps all types of bugs away. This product worked the best and did not put additional chemicals in my pool.

When it comes to mosquito control, you have to find a product that is best for you. While candles were ineffective for me in an open outside area, they are great for enclosed, small areas. Each pest control product serves its own purpose, and you have to try them all until you find what is best for your lifestyle.

$750
$10000

Ricky Morris
Ricky Morris, Copy Editor
Communications Major Ricky Morris is a staffer and editor for The Muse. Morris has enjoyed writing ever since he was in elementary school. He loves to be involved in school and is Co-Vice President of Student Government Association, on the debate team, and is also in television production. In his free time he likes to volunteer as a student attorney in youth court.
$750
$10000