How to Survive Black Friday

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

Something about extreme sales and large crowds brings out the worst in the American people. Last year, dozens of people were injured in the chaos that is Black Friday, a holiday where businesses had their biggest sales of the year. Customers lined up for hours- even days- for the reduced prices. When doors opened at midnight of Thanksgiving, people were trampled. When product supply fell, fights ensued for the last ones. Screams of horror and suffocation were heard under the feet of the Black Friday shoppers. Lives were lost in the name of buy one get one free deals. An all out brawl is tradition on this great holiday, and this year seems like it will be no different.

To survive this dangerous holiday, planning is essential. One must know exactly what one wants and exactly how one is going to get it. All of the experienced Black Friday shoppers will have a planned route to easily reach their destination; those are the people who succeed in getting what they want. They are the winners in life. Learn from the winners. They know what they are doing. They are buying a new Xbox One for $50 less than retail. while others ask employees what direction are the games. Don’t be one of the others who asks employees where to find the games. Take initiative and map out the store like the warzone it is.

Secondly, know the competition. If the person in front of you in line is smaller than you, take advantage of them. They may wait longer, but you are stronger. What are they going to do about your cutting in line? Along with this, consider the weak ones in the pack. Identify parents with kids, the handicapped and the elderly. Their slow speed is a crippling weakness. Remember, Black Friday is survival of the fittest. Don’t get caught behind the weak ones as they will only be a hindrance to the goal.

Stocking up on supplies is another important aspect of surviving Black Friday. Energy drinks are a smart way to get through the long waiting hours behind store doors. Portable phone chargers will come in handy for the time camping outside the store. If you haven’t brought along a tent for the many nights prior to opening, you don’t deserve a new flat screen. Pepper spray and brass knuckles. They may come in handy fighting the mobs of people who compete for the sales.

Nov. 27 is bound to present its own set of problems. Prepare for the unexpected and prepare for what you know. There will be trampling and fights all around. These are the simple facts. Stay ahead of the madness, and you will get the sales you rightfully deserve.