• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Vocal sophomore Levi Cowen plays the drums during the sophomores’ Battle of the Bands rehearsal. The sophomores had to perform songs from the techno genre.
Jamming to Win

Taking a Gap Year

Tom Kapitulnik
Communications junior Tom Kapitulnik with her entire family in Israel, where she plans on living while taking a gap year.

As college application season begins, many high school students are either applying to college, or attending multiple college fairs in hopes of finding their dream school. I am also starting to fill out applications, but not for college. Unlike many students my age, I am applying to gap year programs in Israel. Supported by my parents, I will be doing a “Shnat Sherut”- a year of service in my home country of Israel. I chose to do this for a few reasons. First, I wanted an opportunity to be closer to my family. Most of them live in Israel, which means that I only see them once a year. Living in Israel for a year will give me the chance to really get to know them better, and to spend time with them before I go to college.

In Israel, my home country, every student has to enlist in the Israeli Defense Forces, the army, for at least two years once they graduate high school. Growing up, I saw multiple family members join the army and have an experience that shaped the rest of their lives. I feel like it is my responsibility, as a natural-born Israeli, to give back some service to my country. Even though I am not required to join the army, I feel an obligation to give some service back to Israel for a year, whether it will be enlisting in the army or volunteering at a different organization. Part of the time I spent in Israel this summer was used to learn about different programs that I could join during my upcoming gap year. Once of these is the Overseas Volunteer Program of Magen David Adom (MDA), Israel’s national emergency ambulance service. This year-long program entails becoming an emergency paramedic volunteers, and joining seasoned paramedics around Israel to save people. This is a program I would be interested in because it gives me a chance to help people while still learning.

I know that a gap year isn’t the traditional American route for high school graduates. Gap years are associated with the negative stigma of a lazy high school student who wants a break from learning. I see a gap year as something more. I see it as an opportunity to grow independent, to learn how to live by myself and to gain some real-life experience before going on to college. I know that this gap year will give me the skills to thrive in college and to give me job and life experience for and after college. Taking a gap year doesn’t mean skipping college- it just gives me time to grow as a person before I take the next step in my educational journey.

$750
$10000

Tom Kapitulnik
Tom Kapitulnik, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Tom Kapitulnik is the co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. This is her third year on the staff. When she is not working on The Muse (which is almost always,) Tom enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and swimming. She is also on the Debate team at Dreyfoos. Tom is very excited for the upcoming year and can’t wait to see what The Muse accomplishes.
$750
$10000