• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Vocal sophomore Levi Cowen plays the drums during the sophomores’ Battle of the Bands rehearsal. The sophomores had to perform songs from the techno genre.
Jamming to Win

Should Mandarin Chinese be taught in schools?

A dismal government survey released last year showed that foreign language curriculum is on the decline. However, while schools are saying adios and au revoir to the traditional French and Spanish classes they previously offered, they are welcoming Chinese language programs with open arms. Among America’s approximately 27,500 middle and high schools offering at least one foreign language, the proportion offering Mandarin has risen to 4 percent, according to the Center for Applied Linguistics.

The economic power of China makes taking Mandarin seem like a smart career move, especially for those students interested in business. Since Nixon, the Chinese economy has expanded with surprising velocity. With some estimates placing the number of native speakers at 1.1 billion, it is certainly the world’s largest language in absolute terms. The American educational system, eager to keep up, sees teaching Mandarin as that necessary tool for students to seal a stellar deal in the future. From 1997 to 2007, the number of children studying Mandarin at the primary or secondary level grew tenfold, and it has surely increased even more since then. The number of students taking the Advanced Placement test in Chinese, introduced in 2007, has grown so fast that it is likely to pass German this year as the third most-tested A.P. language, after Spanish and French according to Trevor Packer, a vice president at the College Board.

Unfortunately, despite all the signs pointing to economic prosperity guaranteed by attained fluency of the Far East, the benefits of Mandarin are short sighted and often exaggerated. Despite your parents and teachers urgings to study it, Mandarin will not be the language of the future. It is notoriously hard to learn as a second language, and many may only have a rudimentary grasp over it even after years of arduous learning. Mandarin, unlike English, is also a tonal language meaning that some words look exactly the same but are said with different stresses proving to be baffling for students. The writing system for Mandarin is arcane, and it consists of thousands of symbols rather than a simple alphabet. The benefits are there, but in a world where time is money, learning Mandarin is just too costly.

Today, English is currently the global lingua franca. From an economic standpoint, it is far more beneficial to have a native-Mandarin speaker learn English rather than the other way around. Essentially, the end result is the same as long as both parties are able to communicat

$750
$10000

Morgaan Jessell
Morgaan Jessell, Assistant Layout Editor
Communications Major Morgaan Jessell is a writer for The Muse. In addition to The Muse, Jessell has also been involved in student government has been elected class president for the past three years. She’s been President of the Debate Team, the Dreyfoos Chapter of A Prom to Remember, and the Young Politicians of America. The biggest thing to know about Jessell is that she is a woman with a passion for government and politics, fierce about combating civic apathy in the youth. She’s interned for a variety of politicians here in South Florida, was a messenger in the House of Representatives in January of 2013 under Representative Mark Pafford and was selected to attend Girls State the Summer of 2014. From there, Jessell was chosen to be one of two girls from the state to attend Girls Nation where she was able to meet one of her heroes, President Barack Obama. She was unfortunately not able to meet her celebrity crush, Vice President Joe Biden. She’s still working on that one though.
$750
$10000