Dance Dean Jan Hanniford Helps Dancers Acheive Their Dreams

The beautiful architecture of The Breakers Hotel and Resort surrounded a room of the most talented performers in the county during the Heart and Soul Gala, benefiting Career Transitions for Dancers. Among the talented group of performers gathered at the event was dance dean Jan Hanniford, a recipient of one of the awards given out that night.

“I received an award for my efforts at Dreyfoos. I was recognized for the work I have done for dancers at our school. A dance was organized in my honor as well by a current dance student and a former student. It was a surprise,” Ms. Hanniford said.

Career Transitions for Dancers is an organization that aims to help professional dancers and performers that are retiring start their life in a new field of work. The organization provides the dancers with grants that help them further their education. The program encourages and assists dancers in developing skills necessary to excel in post-dance professions.

“Dance is a profession that can start at a very young age; some start as early as 8 years old. Career Traditions for Dancers helps further a dancer’s education and helps them start a career in a new direction,” Hanniford said.

Many professional dancers start at a dance company right out of high school, so they do not have the time for a traditional college experience. Rather than college classes and studying, traveling, numerous rehearsals and shows take up most of a professional dancer’s time. Former theatre teacher Garry Q. Lewis received a grant from Career Transitions for Dancers when he retired from dancing.

“Career transition for dancers helps performers who work on television, perform in shows and work in theatre. They helped me earn college credits and they help you receive credit for the real life experiences you’ve had as a dancer,” Mr. Lewis said.

With the help of influential individuals in the dance world such as Ms. Hanniford, Career Transition for Dancers has raised over $8 million to diversify the education and employment opportunities for professional dancers.

$750
$10000

Ricky Morris
Ricky Morris, Copy Editor
Communications Major Ricky Morris is a staffer and editor for The Muse. Morris has enjoyed writing ever since he was in elementary school. He loves to be involved in school and is Co-Vice President of Student Government Association, on the debate team, and is also in television production. In his free time he likes to volunteer as a student attorney in youth court.
$750
$10000