Spirit Week 2014: Pep Rally Day

Dance+senior+Angelina+Granitz+performing+as+part+of+the+senior+dance+during+the+Pep+Rally.+
Photo by Elizabeth Lane
Dance senior Angelina Granitz performing as part of the senior dance during the Pep Rally.

On the final day of Spirit Week 2014, students displayed their class pride through the use of their class color in everything from apparel to props.  The freshmen class became a a sea of bright blues in every hue boasting the motto “Fresh Meat.”  The sophomores  creatively adapted the use of green into flashes of camouflage and serious salutes relating to  their Army theme.  For the juniors, red came in the form of  tents, clown noses and ringmasters for their aptly chosen Circus theme. Finally, in a grand display of pride the seniors brought arrived  decked in gold crowns, and sleek black clothing for their Royalty theme. During lunch students played rounds of co-ed capture the flag which resulted in a tie between the seniors and the juniors for first place. Others competed in the sidewalk chalk competition for which results have not been confirmed.

Juniors competing in the Tug of War with the ribbon on the rope in memory of Alex Berman.
Juniors competing in the Tug of War with the
ribbon on the rope in memory of Alex Berman.
Photo by Elizabeth Lane

When time came for the Pep Rally, all the hard work of the student councils and their decoration committees was revealed as students proudly took their places in the gymnasium bleachers according to class.  The Pep Rally began with a round of musical chairs in which the seniors were victorious. Next came Tug of War where the juniors displayed a final act of reverence to Alex Berman by tying a white ribbon on the rope, as he had signed up for the event and had participated every year prior to his untimely death. Tug of War was won by the seniors.

English teacher Nieves Lopez as an Army commander for the sophomore class during the Teacher Dress- Up.
English teacher Nieves Lopez as an Army commander
for the sophomore class during the Teacher Dress- Up.
Photo by Elizabeth Lane

In the teacher dress-up  social studies teacher Tom Ruth represented the freshmen in a bacon costume to emphasize their Fresh Meat theme.  For the sophomores, English teacher Nieves Lopez became their military commander dressed in full camouflage and making a grand entrance in a tiny John Deere tractor.   The juniors brought out math teacher and magnet coordinator Patrick Marshall dressed as a ringmaster with his own band of clowns, acrobats and even a tiger. Finally the seniors dressed not one but three teachers as music royalty. Science teacher William Wood led the parade as the King of Rock, Elvis. Next followed science teacher Stephen Anand dressed as the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Vocal Senior Stanford Purnell was the King of Rap as The Notorious B.IG. For their grand finale they dressed dance teacher Ronda Johnson as the Queen Bee, Beyonce.  The juniors took first place.

Communications senior Tess Sapperstein rapping as part of the senior class singers.
Communications senior Tess Saperstein rapping as part of the senior class singers.
Photo by Elizabeth Lane

During the sing-off the freshmen started off boldly with “Only Girl” by Rihanna.  Sophomores Hadley Bouchlas and Jacob Crossey represented their class with “Float On” by Modest Mouse. Vocal juniors Cara Young and Sophia Marques sang “River Deep Mountain High” by Tina Turner. Vocal senior Micaihla Lockhart sang a collection of songs by Beyonce followed by a rap collaboration between communications senior Tess Saperstein and digital media senior Jake Seiler, and closing with a rendition of “Royals” by Lorde from vocal senior Stanford Purnell. Results for this have not yet been released.

When time came for the long awaited class dances it was disclosed that due to scheduling problems, the Pep Rally had run over time. Despite extending the Rally for almost 20 minutes, all of the dances were cut short by administration and the traditional scream-off between classes could not take place. The winners were not announced and it is still unclear what will happen in coming days to bring closure to Spirit Week 2014.

Part of the junior class dance which was cut short  by administration due to time.
Part of the junior class dance which was cut short by administration due to time.
Photo Courtesy of Gianna Delgado

• The junior flag football team.

• The sophomore flag football team.

• The senior flag football team.

• The freshman sidewalk chalk artists.

• The completed freshman sidewalk chalk creation.

• The sophomore sidewalk chalk artists.

• The completed sophomore sidewalk chalk creation.

• The senior sidewalk chalk artists.

• The freshman class council and their decoration committee.

• Sophomores decorating their gymnasium section.

• The junior class council with their completed Pep Rally decorations.

• The completed senior class section decorations in the gymnasium.

• The seniors making their grand entrance.

• Digital media senior and senior class council president Daniel Martin is embraced by his class after winning in Musical Chairs.

• Juniors competing in the Tug of War with the ribbon on the rope in memory of Alex Berman.

• Social studies teacher Tom Ruth representing the freshman class in the Teacher Dress-Up.

• Freshmen cheering for their class during the 2014 Pep Rally.

• English teacher Nieves Lopez as an Army commander for the sophomore class during the Teacher Dress- Up.

• Dance teacher Ronda Johnson during the Teacher Dress- Up as Beyonce, The Queen Bee.

• Collage of theatre juniors Margo Gellert, Lucas Albano and Logan Lower dressed as clowns for the junior class Circus theme.

• The freshman class singer singing “Only Girl” by Rihanna.

• Vocal junior Cara Young as part of the junior class duet of “River Deep Mountain High” by Tina Turner.

• Communications senior Tess Sapperstein rapping as part of the senior class singers.

• Dance sophomore Emily Karas during the sophomore class dance.

• Sophomores cheering for their class during the Pep Rally.

• Part of the junior class dance which was cut short by administration due to time.

• Dance senior Angelina Granitz performing as part of the senior dance during the Pep Rally.

• Principal Dr. Susan Atherley announcing the time restraints of the Pep Rally Finale.

$450
$10000

Maria Grosso, Website Editor
Communications Major and native of Bogota, Colombia, Maria Grosso, concentrates on journalism and is a staffer on The Muse. She writes for the Op/Ed section and manages The Muse online. As editor of the website, Grosso hopes to translate the quality of the printed Muse to the online readership through interactivity and exclusive content.  Maria is an advocate for the empowerment of women and girls through involvement with The Women's Foundation of Palm Beach. She hopes to one day attend a scholarly enclave.
$450
$10000