• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Pursuing His Dreams at a Young Age

Photo by Michael Bole
Dance sophomore Alec Mittenthal models for a dance photography shoot held by communications sophomore Michael Bole.

At Dreyfoos, it is easy for students to pursue their love for art. The school is filled with opportunities to showcase their talents and abilities, but not all students are able to turn their passion into a money-making pastime. Communications sophomore Michael Bole has turned his fascination of photography into a thriving business.       

“I started my business in the beginning of my eighth grade year,” Bole said. “I realized that going to Bak was a huge opportunity for me to start a business by myself.”

Similar to other artists, Bole knows that there is always a way to learn and improve his skills. By looking up to professional photographers he is able to set higher goals for himself that challenge him to grow.

“My motivation comes from professional photographers because in photography, there is always someone who can get a better shot,” Bole said. “I knew that if I work hard that I can one day reach that level.”

Just like in any other bussiness setting, hard work and sacrifices have to be made to help a company prosper. Bole has learned this through starting Bole Photography and having to make personal investments in the company.   

“My business has definitely helped me learn that anything I want to achieve has a price tag, I have to make an initial investment,” Bole said. “I’ve learned that it’s about making the best investments to get the best product in the end.”

Bole Photography has grown tremendously considering Bole originally took photos that only consisted of his family members and close friends. However, as more people started to take note of his talent he was able to expand his clientele.

“In its beginnings my business was very low-key,” Bole said. “I would talk to people one on one to see if they needed photos and as I talked to more and more people it began to grow. [Now that Bole Photography has grown], I wanted to offer something for as many people as I could. I take most photos on request but specialize in portrait, family, dance, and event photography.”

Bole, like many others at Dreyfoos, has taken this unique environment and opportunity to challenge himself in his art area in new ways. Whether Bole is using photography as a way to make money or not, he will pursue it.

“The concept of photography is something that I’ve always been fascinated by. It’s like taking a single frame of life and pressing a pause button,” Bole said. “I think that is what makes it so unique and why I love it.”