• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Vocal sophomore Levi Cowen plays the drums during the sophomores’ Battle of the Bands rehearsal. The sophomores had to perform songs from the techno genre.
Jamming to Win

Roses are Red, Money is Green

“He loves me, he loves me not…” Valentine’s Day is for all of the hopeless romantics and the love-struck optimists out there. Every year, the anticipation grows for this single day where every head-over-heels couple can proclaim their mad love for each other. While this is tooth rotting sweet, it seems to be more and more based on the materialistic qualities in life. This is focused less on the intangible characteristics about the person that makes an individual can’t live without them.

“He loves me…” When walking down the hallways of Dreyfoos on Cupid’s favorite day of the year, the scent of fresh strawberries and sugary chocolate floats down the halls. You can hear squeals of excitement come from surprised girls as their significant other holds out a massive bear with hearts on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The gestures of cheap perfume and soon to be wilted roses are very heartwarming, but not at all practical. It is now an expectation to buy your loved one a heart shaped pillow or a box of their favorite candies. How genuine is this? Would it mean more to that special someone if they were gifted like this on a random Tuesday?

“He loves me not…” On Valentine’s Day, individuals are all hoping for something that reassures them how special and loved they are. If the exchange of presents were to stop, a major part of what Valentine’s Day has become would be lost. In today’s society, the media is constantly probing at the idea of items representing ones love for someone. By expressing your ones love in a priceless way, a couple can flourish from not the economic benefits of the relationship but the true passion that is felt in the relationship itself.

“He loves me?” Of course, it is always grand to receive a gift from your significant other but it is also amazing to still feel like you are loved by someone even when you don’t have every heart shaped cookie in Publix. Every day should be Valentine’s Day for a couple. A label on this day doesn’t make it any more special than that random Tuesday. When Valentine’s Day comes, pinks and reds are draped over every person in sight and nauseating sweet perfumes will suffocate anyone who dares to walk by. However, even with the materialistic quality surrounding Valentine’s Day each year, receiving a thoughtful present from your love is not a crime. This day celebrates love, no matter who you are or what you have done. More days should be dedicated to love and getting caught up in the person and not what the person has. It is truly an incredible moment when you can say, “They love me.”

$450
$10000

Alexis Pinchuk, Assistant Managing Editor
Communications senior Alexis Pinchuk is a third-year staffer and Assistant Managing Editor, overseeing the Copy, Website, Features, and Op/Ed sections for The Muse. She loves every aspect of the communications field, and dedicates much of her time to The Muse and other courses. Pinchuk has many published pieces and received a Scholastic honorary mention for her poem, “Rabbit Ears.” She hopes to attend a prestigious college where she will continue her studies in journalism. In whatever field she studies, Pinchuk is determined to make a difference. In seventh and eighth grade, Pinchuk founded the successful club, Every Soul Counts. Through this club, she was able to raise thousands of dollars, volunteer at underprivileged elementary schools, and work with passionate individuals to change the lives of soldiers and their families. Over her junior and senior year, Pinchuk founded the Psychology and Philosophy Club as well. Aside from these achievements, Pinchuk became a second degree black belt at the age of eight, is an equestrian, and participated on the Dreyfoos swim team during her sophomore year. Pinchuk dreams of becoming a New York Times Bestseller and Newbery Award Winner, along with other aspirations. She is optimistic and excited for the future, as she plans to continue working extremely hard to achieve her goals.
$450
$10000