• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Summer in Brazil

Communications junior embarks on year long exchange program in Brazil
Image Credit to Summer Marsh
Communications junior Summer Marsh (second from left) proudly holds the Brazilian flag along with other students part of her local RYE program.

Most students in their lifetime limit themselves to the education within the walls of their school. However, communications junior Summer Marsh is taking her passion for knowledge and coupling it with her thirst for culture by traveling to Curitiba, Brazil for one year as an exchange student.

“I’ve grown up with a passion for traveling. Both of my parents are flight attendants so that has helped immensely,” Marsh said. “You not only make lifelong friends [through this exchange program], but you also learn about yourself and what you truly want to be. I recommend this program to anyone who likes adventure”

Marsh herself is no stranger to adventure. She has traveled to Canada, Uruguay, Argentina, France, Spain, Japan and many more. Ever since she was 5 years old she has been accustomed to traveling. She remembers waking up early in the morning as a child to board 7 am flights across the country, and has always enjoyed it.

“It’s not so much even that I love traveling as it is that traveling is a part of me.” Marsh said.

Along with nine other students from Florida, Marsh will be exchanging to Brazil through the organization Rotary Youth Exchange (RYE), which is a branch of Rotary International. RYE sends over 8,000 students to study worldwide every year.

Marsh departs July 20th. To prepare for her journey, she has been attending multiple seminars about Brazilian culture and language camps. She talks to native speakers and listens to Portuguese music. One of her techniques for learning the language is a bit unconventional.

“What actually helped me the most was watching Disney movies in Portuguese, like Tangled, the Little Mermaid, and the Princess and the Frog,” Marsh said. “This has been one of the hardest languages for me to study personally.”

When Marsh returns from Brazil in one year, she will most likely become homeschooled in order to graduate on time with the class of 2016.

“She won’t be able to come back to Dreyfoos which is sad, but I know it’ll be worth it,” communications junior and close friend Jessica Taylor said. “I think that her leaving is a really good opportunity for her.”

Looking back, Marsh is thankful for her time at Dreyfoos and all the experiences she has gained.

“To me, learning another language is the ultimate form of communication.” Marsh said. “Saying that, I believe Dreyfoos has prepared me to pursue my dreams.”

$750
$10000

Starr Courakos
Starr Courakos, Managing Editor
Starr Courakos is the Managing Editor of The Muse. She is very excited to be overseeing the production and execution of the newsmagazine. She will continue to edit stories, while also budgeting out each page of the Muse, complete with ads and dividers. While bringing an open mind to the publication, she hopes to see the Muse grow and be a part in its development. By collaborating with writers and editors from all sections, this year Starr looks forward to expanding her knowledge of design and editing and create a publication that students and adults alike look forward to reading.
$750
$10000