DEAR WHITE PEOPLE VOLUME ONE: REVIEW

Photo Courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes

“Dear White People” has sparked major controversy, and without a good reason. Many articles claim that the backlash surrounding this show proves the entire point of what the Netflix series is trying to showcase. There is only one season filled with ten, thirty-minute episodes, easy enough to binge watch within a night or two.

This show overall is amazing, it brings light to all the injustices that minorities experience, specifically focused around black people at a college campus. Each episode focuses on an individual character’s story while a larger narrative is taking place. It covers topics from police brutality, saying the N-Word, if you’re “woke” and even everyday things that most people think are okay, but definitely aren’t.

The soundtrack to this show is outstanding, it has niche hip-hop music that has a great beat to it, fitting perfectly with the aesthetic of the show. Artists like Noname, Rex Orange County, and even more popular artists like Future, and Childish Gambino.

Photo Courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes

It isn’t only covering the issues that are surface level even for black people. It covers those who are apart of the LGBTQ+ community, those who are seen as “light-skin,” those who fall under different income brackets, what woman of color face, and anything else that’s a subset of what defines a person.

The enticing thing about this show is that these smaller stories eventually reveal the bigger narrative of what is truly going on at that school. Some of the main characters, like Lionel and Sam, are exposing what is happening there through different forms of news. Sam works on the school’s radio station and has her own segment called “Dear White People,” which is how the show gets its name. Lionel works at one of the school’s newspapers, and he dedicates a lot of his time uncovering hidden truths about the school’s benefactors and students. It has a great aspect of journalism and investigation in the show that anyone can appreciate.

Even if you’re not sure this show is for you, try it out anyways, what you watch might surprise you. It has great insight, a good soundtrack, and an important message that everyone should be aware of.

View Comments (1)
$450
$10000

Chloe Girod, Editor-in-Chief
Chloe Girod is a third-year staffer as well as the Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. She thrives off validation and can often be an absolute fool when stressed, but she tries to maintain a positive outlook in all aspects of her life. She loves to challenge people and their ideas, including herself, which can spark a few controversial discussions. She has a weird obsession with kids shows like “Boss Baby” as well as “Phineas and Ferb” for their childish humor. She strives to delve into all journalism topics while keeping a special place for her old Entertainment section in her heart as well as focus on her graphics and page design. One day she hopes to be her own boss, baby. Until then, she’s just prepping for the future and praying her semi-decent SAT scores get her into college. This will be her final year on the staff, which she looks back on with happy memories and love.   If you would like to contact this staffer, you may reach them at [email protected]
$450
$10000

• B

Brian ArubaMay 15, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I saw all ten episodes and I really enjoyed watching it. It really showed the difference that society has between different race of human beings. Being a white person myself but with a huge variety of friends of different nationality’s, races, religions and sexual preference , I could understand a lot of things that came forward in the series. I applaud the maker, director for bringing a great piece in the spot light about a issue that so many often times just being showed from one direction. He brought diversity of not only color but also sexual preferences that people struggle with.
    I really look forward for the second season.

Reply