• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Impromptu sets the tone

The+Brandt+Black+Box+Theater+is+packed+to+the+brim+as+students%2C+faculty%2C+relatives%2C+and+friends+gather+to+watch+the+annual+Impromptu+concert.+
Photo by Julia Bonavita
The Brandt Black Box Theater is packed to the brim as students, faculty, relatives, and friends gather to watch the annual Impromptu concert.

A projector is flipped on as musicians fill the stage and position themselves behind their piano, brass instruments, and even a steering wheel. The theater rings with the distinctive melody of Mario Kart, as vivacious moving images of the video game project on the wall. Supervised by piano dean Stefanie Katz-Shear, Impromptu ran from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1. The annual concert encouraged piano majors to get creative with their pieces and express their love for different kinds of music. Moreover, the freedom to choose their own music often leads to interesting costumes and collaborations with the many musicians of Building Seven.

Vocal senior Makayla Forgione sings Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley while piano senior Christina Harbaugh plays the piano.
Photo by Julia Bonavita

“I did a Queen compilation that required a variety of instruments,” piano senior Christina Harbaugh said. “My favorite part about collaborating with other musicians is seeing how we can work together professionally to get to an end goal. It’s especially interesting when working with an instrument you don’t see very often, it’s always exciting to learn how it works.”

Unlike most piano concerts, Impromptu incorporates music from popular culture, presenting songs that the audience can recognize and relate to. With performances ranging from the Pokémon theme song to Lady Gaga compilations, there is truly something for every spectator to enjoy. Therefore, Impromptu is easily the piano department’s most popular event of the year.

“This is much different from other concerts I’ve performed in because of the enthusiasm of the crowd,” strings sophomore Tina Paolucci said. “ I performed a piece from Argentina with my friend Giancarlo. I don’t get to perform as a soloist very often, so to get that energy from the crowd directed toward the two of us rather than an entire orchestra was very rewarding.”

Tickets for Impromptu were in high demand amongst students, parents, and faculty, as the Saturday and Sunday showings were entirely sold out. Furthermore, students often dressed up to match their pieces, adding to the air of excitement.

Band sophomore Leo Markel plays the trombone (L-R), band senior Ian Press plays the trumpet, and band junior Austin Klewan plays the saxophone to Autumn Leaves during the preshow.
Photo by Julia Bonavita

“I decided to dress up as an angel for my piece Chopin Etude op. 25 no.1 because its nickname is Aeolian Harp,” piano sophomore Devon Delgado said. “ I thought it’d be clever to dress up because angels play harps.”

To maintain the show’s reputation it was important for the piano department hold auditions.

This annual concert has allowed a variety of musicians to showcase their talent and will continue to be an essential part of Dreyfoos culture for years to come. The freedom it allows is unprecedented, permitting music majors of all grades to tap into their creativity and collaborate with other musicians.

“I can’t wait to continue performing in Impromptu,” piano freshman Jacques Coury said.  “As I grow as a composer and a musician I know each year will be better than the last.”