Piano students end year on high note

Piano Majors Perform In Their Final Concert of the Year
  • Piano senior and department president Laura Bomeny plays a solo piece in the “Vierte” piano concert in Meyer Hall on April 21. “Unlike the other concerts that we put on in the spring, this one was in Meyer hall, as opposed to the Black Box,” Bonemy said. “This allowed us to play on the beautiful nine-foot Steinway piano and to receive a bigger audience.”

• Piano junior Stefan Wan performs a duet with strings junior Nazomi Yasuda in the last piano concert of the year, “Vierte.” “Collaborative piano works [were] included in [in the concert] because they provide diversity in the show and also experience in the future,” Wan said. “Many professional pianists actually make a living through accompanying other instrumentalists.”

• Piano senior Alexandra O’Brien performs by herself to a crowd of teachers, family members, and students.

• Piano junior Stefan Wan plays a solo piece in the “Vierte” concert which was held in Meyer Hall on April 21. “This [show] was really important to me because my family came to support me,” Wan said. “It also meant a lot to showcase the new nine-foot Steinway [piano] to the rest of the school.”

The music department is winding down for the end of the year. Most of its majors are now focusing on juries and exams, but a few students performed in the latest piano concert titled “Vierte.” The concert was presented as an opportunity for students from all majors to receive extra credit for attending and also provided a chance for piano majors to play a concert in Meyer Hall.

“It was the first time a piano concert has been held in Meyer Hall for a couple of years, so we wanted to make this one special,” piano junior Stefan Wan said. “I started learning my pieces during the summer, but the actual stage experience for those pieces came a couple weeks before the concert with studio classes.”

Although advertised as a piano concert, multiple students from other facets of the music department were also involved in the performance. Piano students were accompanied by strings majors  playing instruments such as the violin, viola, and cello.

“Accompaniment is a big part of being a pianist, and is as important as solo work in my opinion,” piano senior Laura Bomeny said. “By working with other musicians from different departments, we can increase musicality and cooperation between students, and have the opportunity to learn repertoire and techniques that don’t come with learning solo music.”

As this was the last concert of the year, many students felt sentimental about the performance. Seniors especially felt the show was a great way to finish off the year.

“This being my last concert at Dreyfoos, I was honored to be able to perform in Meyer Hall,” Bomeny said. “It being my senior concert as well, I was happy to perform solo pieces in addition to performing with my piano quartet, the $tring Breakers.”