Summer Program Spotlight: Rhodes Evans

A Series Following Dreyfoos Students Who Use Summer to Delve Further Into Their Art
Communications+junior+Rhodes+Evans+stands+alongside+a+campus+entrance+sign+on+the+Northwestern+University+campus.+
Image courtesy of Rhodes Evans
Communications junior Rhodes Evans stands alongside a campus entrance sign on the Northwestern University campus.

Changing from one art area to another may not come as an easy transition, however communications junior Rhodes Evans felt it necessary to prioritize her love for film, even if that meant making the switch over from the theatre department. In order to further familiarize herself with the art, Evans decided to travel cross-country to Chicago where she attended the National High School Institute at Northwestern University.

“I went to this particular film program with hopes of gaining a better understanding of the technical side of film making,” Evans said. “Going from acting in the theatre department into directing was pretty smooth and made a lot of sense, but there is a lot more to film making and directing than just understanding actors. You need to know lenses, slates, shot progression, sound design and editing; all things that I understood in a basic way, but this program helped me understand each position so well that I could actually utilize them on set.”

Evans initially decided on the program because since Northwestern has always been her top choice for college, she wanted to be able to experience the campus and gain insight into what it would be like taking serious film classes.

“A typical day starts at 8:30 with a Film Theory class for two hours, where we basically study different types of film and directors, as well as, doing shot-by-shot progression. My second class was editing, where we learned [an editing system called] Avid and all the equipment. [Later] we would either have a master class, we would meet with our crew for our projects or we would film.

The five-week long program not only offered Evans the chance to expand her knowledge of the basics of film, but also taught her the ins and outs of the professional film world in a broader spectrum.

“[During the program] I switched editing software from Final Cut to Adobe Premier, I learned how to shoot on a c-47 camera and I learned how to get location rights for production. As well as, how film demand and marketing shifts on a country-by-county basis. I was able to communicate and collaborate with kids from all over the world.”

From experiencing a program such as the one she attended, Evans saw how she got just as much as she was willing to put in- and then some.

“I think this program really helped me learn new terms and techniques. Just learning from new teachers helps me to better understand different audiences. I can now take experience back home. The art world as a whole is so much bigger than I realize sometimes. Often I forget that there is so much more than South Florida.”

$750
$10000

Julia Horneck
Julia Horneck, Website Editor
Communications senior Julia Horneck is a third-year staffer and Website Editor of The Muse. She has had a passion for all aspects of journalism and photography for as long as she can remember, of which she’s fortunate enough to be able to expand upon through The Muse. Along with being a devoted member of The Muse, she is also an Editor-in-Chief of The Marquee yearbook. Horneck strives to be just as engaged in the Dreyfoos community as she is within the publications, also taking on the roles of Women’s Empowerment Club president, ARTS Club historian, and Project Arts Event Coordinator. She aspires to ultimately make her way to New York City, Boston, or D.C, with hopes of delving into the ever-evolving world of journalism and making her name known.
$750
$10000