• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Vocal sophomore Levi Cowen plays the drums during the sophomores’ Battle of the Bands rehearsal. The sophomores had to perform songs from the techno genre.
Jamming to Win

First concert of the season by Philharmonic Orchestra

+Strings+seniors+Felipe+Bomeny%2C+Taisuke+Yasudam%2C+Robin+Tozzie%2C+strings+junior+Yuri+Santos++and+strings+senior+Rebecca+Tozzie+play+in+the+violin+section+during+the+concert.+
Julia Bonavita
Strings seniors Felipe Bomeny, Taisuke Yasudam, Robin Tozzie, strings junior Yuri Santos and strings senior Rebecca Tozzie play in the violin section during the concert.

The Philharmonic orchestra concert was held on Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. This all-Beethoven concert was the music department’s opening concert of the school year and featured special guests from the Conservatory of Music at Lynn University.

Lynn University violinist Carol Cole, cellist David Cole and pianist Maestro Jon Robertson played in Beethoven’s triple concerto.This piece selection inspired the strings department to do an all-Beethoven concert.

“I really wanted to [perform] Beethoven,” strings teacher Wendell Simmons said. “Two of the soloists are really good friends of mine, and I thought about doing Beethoven’s triple concerto. Then I thought, ‘Why don’t we do an all-Beethoven concert?'”

The concert began with Leonore Overture No. 3 Op. 72, then transitioned Beethoven’s triple concerto. After intermission, the concert finished with Symphony No. 5 in C Minor Op. 67.

Not only was having the special guests from the Lynn Conservatory a great honor for the school, but the students enjoyed their company as well.

“It was fun to see how different people play and [to] have different people critique us,” strings sophomore Olivia Perez said.

While David Cole is a professor of cello at Lynn University, he has roots closer to home.

“This is my third time playing with Dreyfoos and I used to teach here for 6 or 7 years,” David Cole said. “We love [performing with the students], they are great to work with. They have a serious commitment to music and there’s a lot of joy coming out of it.”

$450
$10000

Mary Rasura, Features Editor
Communications junior Mary Rasura has had a love of journalism ever since her parents made it a point to watch the 5 PM. news. She is the Features Editor and feels the section will be a great fit for her. She believes Dreyfoos wouldn't be what it was without the arts, and is excited to report on this vital part of the school’s ecology. Rasura enjoys creative writing as well, and finds truth and fiction to be equally compelling narratives. In her free time, she loves political satire and likes to watch the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. She loves having flowers in her room and believes they brighten up any work space. She is an active member of the Women’s Empowerment Club and plans on joining the Speech and Debate team, as she has discovered a love of speech in the past year and wishes to improve her rhetoric. In the future, Mary wishes to work at a news magazine and would love to review theater shows.
$450
$10000