A Fairytale Come True

Photo provided by Emma Sue Harris
Communication junior Emma Sue Harris dressed up as Ana from the Disney movie Frozen at a princess birthday party.

Whether it’s to express themselves or to get a passing grade in their major, students use their artistic abilities almost every day. Communications junior Emma Sue Harris and theatre freshman Alexis ‘Lexi’ McCain use their Broadway-bound talent to create a fairytale for little girls and boys around the county.

“I work at A Fairytale Come True” Harris said. “When little kids want a princess birthday party, we dress up as the princesses, we sing songs and we do face paintings.”

The process of getting ready for a princess party can take hours, even if it is simply for a small, local business.

“[A Fairytale Come True] is based out of my boss’s’ house. We go there, change and do our make up,” Harris said. “We have an assistant who drives us to the parties which are anywhere between Jupiter and Miami. There are some days when we are in Miami for one party and then have to drive all the way to Jupiter for another party. Its all over the county.”

From the classic Cinderella to Anna and Elsa, the sisters from the recent Disney movie Frozen, ‘A Fairy Tale Come true’ has a variety of characters from which children can choose.

“I always do Anna and Elsa from Frozen because that’s all kids want,” Harris said. “But my favorite character is Anna. Even though Elsa is the star, Ana’s dress is more comfortable.”

When working and performing for little children, there is always a chance for an unexpected turn of events.

“My funniest experience was when children would ask if I’m Elsa and if I’ll do ice magic and I have to say ‘no it’s too hot in Florida,’” Harris said. “The worst experience that I’ve had was when some girl tried to pull my wig and tell me that I’m not the real Elsa. I told her that she was hurting me when she pulled my hair. There are always a few older children that will try to ruin it for the younger ones”

Lexi McCain got her start in A Fairytale Come True when there was a demand for an Ariel on short notice. The owners of the company loved her so she has been working there ever since.

“I’ve played Snow White, Ariel, Rapunzel and Aurora,” McCain says. “But Anna is my favorite because she’s more fun and there is a high demand for her.”

This is her first year at Dreyfoos and dressing up as a princess happens less frequently because of the time she has to dedicate to school.
“[A Fairytale Come True] takes up a lot of my time,” McCain says. “Dreyfoos is a lot of work so I’ve been working [at A Fairytale Come True] less and less. I have to compromise to do both the things I love to do.”

A Fairytale Come True sets the stage for McCain’s love for performing. This gives her the opportunity to practice her theatre ability.

“It’s a performance opportunity,” McCain says. “I’m a theatre major so I take any chance I get to perform. I sing at the parties and I act. I love that every weekend it’s my job to put a smile on these kids’ faces while performing and doing what I love at the same time.”

$750
$10000

Karai Mclean
Karai Mclean, Lifestyle Staffer
Karai Mclean is a communications senior and a Lifestyle staffer for The Muse. This is her third year on the publication and she has been writing poetry and prose since she was 12 years old. She has helped write and edit stories on her friend’s fashion blog and has written songs for multiple theatre productions. She has a high interest in fashion and she is also a Barbizon USA representative. She hopes to continue her career as a writer as well as an actress in the future.
$750
$10000